GM of Community Programs at North Queensland Cowboys
Roles in life and work:
- Mother to many (by birth, adoption and fostering) and grandmother to two
- Wife to Rod
- Horse breeder
- GM of Community Programs at North Queensland Cowboys
- Driving force behind the NRL Cowboys House
What are you juggling right now in your life?
Currently several things, like most women these days.
- I am busy with a rewarding career at the Cowboys and Director on the board for the Cowboys Community Foundation. Our current focus is on expanding NRL Cowboys House from supporting 50 young Indigenous men from remote communities to live in Townsville in a culturally safe environment and attain their secondary school education to now building a new facility to extend the same opportunity to 50 young women.
- At home we currently have 6 teenagers attending three different high schools, so you can image the logistics of transport alone.
- With my husband I manage a farm breeding heavy horse cross’s
- Managing a portfolio of rental properties
How do you value your time?
Time is everything to me. As I have grown in age and maturity, I have come to realise the true value of time. I am always looking at how I can better manage my time to enable me to balance things, that is when I get a moment to think about it.
How do you manage your time effectively?
I think I could always be better at it. Managing time effectively means being disciplined to plan and take a breath. I am not always very good at that and fall into the trap of I am too busy.
How do you separate work and personal time?
I am lucky enough to live on a beautiful farm with my family and this helps enormously. Our home is a very different landscape and you can’t help but become immersed in it. It’s a decent drive from work to home so the drive is always a good quiet time.
What does your support network look like?
I have a husband who is very patient, and my mum is also pretty amazing. My eldest daughter is great to bounce things off and a voice of reason. I have some amazing friends in my life who all listen, tolerate me and are truly wise, they are my diamonds.
What kind of conversations do you have with your inner voice?
I have many debates with my inner voice. I believe the inner voice is our truth and instinct. These conversations can often be pretty raw, as true honesty often is but hindsight and ignoring my inner voice has proven time and time again the importance. One constant conversation is my inner voice telling me to slow down and stop when I am really tired as I become ineffective and not very efficient and at worst cause more problems than I am solving. I have learnt to listen to that.
Do you have any time saving tips for the One P community?
Obviously the One P concept is one of innovation based on time saving as well as providing quality and timeless style, so I am already a big fan. My top 5 timing saving tips are:
- Online grocery shopping, online banking and setting up automatic direct debits for everything
- Getting my lenses replaced in my eyes. Sounds crazy but the convenience, time and money it has saved my not looking for my glasses is insane.
- Always believe it can be done. A positive attitude, embracing the challenge of figuring out a way to squeeze more out of life and finding the way as it is always there.
- Delegate and consult. Use the resources you have at hand, there are so many smart people around you, you don’t have to do everything yourself all the time.
- Listen to your inner voice.